Home

Psst.. Follow me on twitter @DigitalZarda!

Monday 23 May 2016

BEAUTY JUNKIE: DIY Rainbow Highlighter!



After the instagram and reddit blowout over the rainbow highlighters created by bitter lace beauty, we instantly entered a new era of makeup. From my recent search and obsession over the perfect highlighters and their alternatives (read the last blog), when I saw the rainbow highlighter, I was motivated enough to try to make my own rainbow highlighter.

Earlier this month, I was searching ways to fix the broken foundation pans and came to know about the rubbing alcohol trick. The thing is very simple. All you gotta do to fix the broken pans is to pour a bit of rubbing alcohol in it and press it down to give it a shape and pat it gently a few dozen times. After like 24 hours, the alcohol will completely dry up (alcohol of higher percentages are volatile and dry up pretty quickly, leaving the pan in its utmost glory and the new shape). Upon thinking about this, I got pretty motivated to try and see if I could pull off making my own rainbow highlighter.

The things I used for making the rainbow highlighter were readily available at my dressing table, so the expenses were close to none at all. All you need to make a rainbow highlighter are:
  • ·        Eyeshadow kits that are of no use to you
  • ·        Manorapid antiseptic alcohol (I use this during my hospital internships) or basically        any alcohol of higher percentage would do.
  • ·        Toothpicks or any scrapping tools
  • ·        An empty compact to make the highlighter in!

Now the procedure is very simple. All you have to do is take a clean surface where you can scrape off the old eyeshadows on through a toothpick or any scrapping tool. Since you want the highlighter to not be super pigmented, you have to use only the pastel shades that are shimmery. Since my eyeshadow palette called ICING, was completely pastel to start with and already shimmery, there was no point of adding extra highlighter into the individual shades. Instead, I had to put in tiny scrapings of stronger shimmery shades from my sweetface palette to give it a bit of colour. Pictures of aftermath of the eyeshadow palettes below!



the sweetface terracotta palette  

After scraping out and mixing with the darker colour of the first shades, I added a few drops of alcohol in it to make a dense paste that was not runny or anything. Then I tried to settle it in the empty compact pan and repeated the process till all the colours of the rainbow were in the pan. Now since everybody wants a good looking pan, all you gotta to is pat and dab a few dozen times with either your finger, or a tissue, till the excess alcohol has dried up and the pan has taken a smoother looking shape.







Wait a couple of hours until the alcohol completely evaporates and voila, your very own rainbow highlighter is ready for you to use and sass away! Swatches and result below!







I hope this blog helped you if you want to make your own DIY rainbow highlighter! Do leave me a tweet @digitalzarda if you loved the rainbow highlighter as much as I did! Till I find new ways of alternative makeup techniques, this is me, signing off!

Digitally shimmering,
Wurduh Jaffri

No comments:

Post a Comment